April 8, 2012

Roasted Red Peppers

I sometimes need to remind myself that roasting peppers really is easy. And delicious.

I've tried it lots of ways (using a grill, dangling them dangerously with tongs over the open flame on my stove top). This method, which I learned from The Best Recipes in the World, has been the easiest for me.

Roasting Red Peppers

Rub several whole clean red bell peppers with a little oil.
Turn on your broiler and place the upper rack high up close to the heat source.
Put the peppers on a foil lined roasting pan or heavy jelly roll pan.
Slide the pan under the broiler.

Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning the peppers every few minutes (as each side browns).
When all sides are darkened and they are beginning to collapse, pull the pan from the oven. U
Use the foil that was lining the pan to wrap up the peppers to sweat them a little.

Let them sit until they cool enough that you can handle them.
Then slip off the skins, remove the seeds and tops.

You can then eat them right away or keep them in the fridge for a couple of days.
Serve with a little salt, a drizzle of oil and very little bit of vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment